Domain names with leading digits (Re: Determining the basic approach)

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Mon May 5 16:26:21 CEST 2008

At 7:48 AM +0200 5/5/08, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>I THINK, but do not know, that what Paul means by:
>
>   11.  Make some currently-legal, non-IDNA labels illegal
>
>. . .
>
>And the resulting rule is:
>
>   o  The first character may not be an EN (European Number) or an AN
>      (Arabic Number).

Correct, in part (see below). This rule prohibits thousands of
current domain names like 3com.com, 1800flowers.com, and a whole lot
of others. It could be changed to be a registry recommendation
instead of a prohibition on all labels, even ones that don't appear
in IDNs.

>I don't know of any other part of the idnabis work that affects
>LDH-compliant labels.
>(There's also the minor point of codifying the existing prohibition
>against leading and
>trailing hyphen, but that's a stretch of the term "currently legal".
>If that was intended,
>please holler.)

There is a second place. In draft-klensin-idnabis-issues-07.txt,
section 1.5.4.1.1 prohibits labels that have a hyphen in positions 3
and 4 unless they are A-labels. This is completely unnecessary.