Changing DISALLOWED (was Re: Reserved general punctuation)

Debbie Garside debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk
Sat May 3 00:24:21 CEST 2008

Hi Andrew

Originally I came in on this in support of not having DISALLOWED completely
set in stone - for ever.  I think everyone seems pretty much on the same
wave length wrt this now.  I have no problem with changes taking 6 months
but I think 2 years is pretty steep if you look back at Mark's original
argument.  Balance is definitely the key.  If there is scope for putting in
an update mechanism within this RFC then it should be done.  However, if it
proves too complex and will delay the end result beyond acceptable
timescales then the minimum that should be added is the scope to update the
RFC should it prove necessary in the future.  I do think that going through
the complete RFC process for one character would be pretty steep too!  To go
back to Mark's original argument, if it were your language you would want it
but would IETF setup another WG for one character - I don't think so!  This
is where a mechanism would help.

That said, I have no idea whether this scenario will come up a week after
the RFC is published or 10 years after or never.  But the point is, neither
does anyone else.

Best

Debbie