Allowed characters (was: Re: Casefolding Sigma (was: Re: IDNAbis Preprocessing Draft)

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Sun Mar 30 17:17:58 CEST 2008

At 3:08 PM +0200 3/30/08, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>On 30 mar 2008, at 14.25, Michael Everson wrote:
>
>>The letters from 076E..077F are currently unassigned, but in
>>Unicode 5.1 they will be assigned. Will these be allowed?
>
>Yes.

Let me amend Patrik's response:

"Yes as long as the properties for those characters that affect
idnabis in the beta tables that were recently consulted don't change".

Although I know that what Michael wants is an answer to "what will
happen in IDNAbis for these characters", the answer is "it depends on
the properties of those characters when IDNAbis is finished". At this
point, we expect IDNAbis to issue after Unicode 5.1, and therefore
you will be able to tell for sure when Unicode 5.1 comes out. I
haven't followed the beta process for 5.1 very carefully, so I can't
give an opinion on the likelihood that some of the relevant character
properties will change before 5.1 is official.