Lookup & NFC

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Fri Mar 28 07:25:40 CET 2008

With regard to the idna200x spec would it be important in, say, the rationale document to make clear that the spec applies to strings presented for registration and/or lookup and that it is assumed that they are expected to be presented such that they meet the allowed character criteria? This seems to be related to mark davis' point about preprocessing. Alternatively an advisory if not normative document might offer advice about the need to examine and possibly alter strings intended to be registered or looked up in DNS to meet specific criteria? We know the strings may be obtained in a variety of ways but they must ultimately be conformant to certain criteria to be accepted into the DNS for registration or looked up. There is a distinction made between "protocol valid for registration" and "protocol valid for lookup" and that distinction needs to be clear also. V