draft-klensin-idnabis-protocol-04 section 4.5

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Thu Mar 27 22:56:30 CET 2008

Paul Hoffman skrev:
> At 1:17 PM +0100 3/27/08, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>> --On Thursday, March 27, 2008 10:55:04 +0100 Simon Josefsson
>> <simon at josefsson.org> wrote:
>>
>>> This section reads:
>>>
>>>    The resulting U-label is converted to an A-label (i.e., the encoding
>>>    of that label according to the Punycode algorithm [RFC3492] with the
>>>    prefix included, i.e., the "xn--..." form).
>>>
>>> That assumes that no U-label will be translated into a LDH-label.
>>>
>>> In IDNA2003 some U-labels are translated to LDH-labels, for example:
>>>
>>> ToASCII(josefßon) = josefsson
>>> ToASCII(dªtªkonsult) = datakonsult
>>>
>>> Note absence of xn-- prefix and punycode data.
>>>
>>> Is the intention that these strings will not map to the same LDH label
>>> in IDNA200x?
>>
>> As long as we keep the "no mapping" principle, the intention is that
>> these strings will be rejected by IDNA200x.
>
> I fully disagree with Harald, and this is fundamental to the
> definition of the protocol. Those strings would be rejected if the
> application did not do sufficient mapping before doing a lookup as
> specified in Section 5.3. An implementation that wants to interoperate
> with IDNA2003 for labels that were mapped in IDNA2003 would do some
> mapping.
I think we agree, actually.

The intention is that these strings will be rejected by IDNA200x (as
defined in the current 4 documents). IF it gets that far.

If it gets converted to something else before it gets to IDNA200x - it's
that other string that IDNA200x will accept or reject. But that's
out-of-scope for IDNA200x.