draft-klensin-idnabis-protocol-04 section 4.5

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Thu Mar 27 15:50:29 CET 2008

Simon, the IDNA200X drafts do not include the "mapping" (case-folding,
NFKC and "map to nothing" (delete)) that was included in IDNA2003.

The consensus so far is that all of that "mapping" is essentially
moved out of the core 4 specs. One mapping spec is the one that Mark
produced, and we are now calling it "pre-processing". I believe you
already received a pointer to that draft.

Another level of mapping is described in the early steps of
registration and lookup in the IDNA200X protocol draft. This is the UI
level, where apps are, for example, free to map the dotted and dotless
letters 'i' the Turkish way if the user has asked the app to assume
Turkish conventions. This area is somewhat controversial, since a
proliferation of language-specific mappings may create some confusion.
Nevertheless, some app developers may consider this essential for a
good user experience.

So the bottom line is that the current four IDNA200X drafts only
specify what is allowed at the lowest level(s). The higher levels,
such as HTML, UI and so on, are to be specified in separate specs.

Erik