Allowed characters (was: Re: Casefolding Sigma (was: Re: IDNAbis Preprocessing Draft)

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Mar 26 21:00:18 CET 2008

At 15:47 -0400 2008-03-26, John C Klensin wrote:

>I think what both Mark and I are saying, albeit in very
>different ways, is that it just isn't that simple.  Arabic (and
>any other RTL script) requires consideration of sequences of
>characters in labels, not just individual Yes/No character
>lists.

That doesn't mean I don't need a list.

>In IDNA2003, there are some canonical form issues and, I
>believe, some compatibility ones.  In general, for the current
>state of the IDNA200X proposals, those issues translate into
>disallowed code point (what you are calling "out", I think).

I'm interested in the present and future, not 2003 restrictions.

>If people are interested in Arabic domain names (other uses of
>Arabic script are not the subject matter of either this mailing
>list or either set of protocols), you miss a major portion of
>the picture if you restrict yourself to the Arabic script block
>or specifically-Arabic letters and decorations.

Other characters are orthogonal to my need. I need to know if anyone
has decided to say "No" to some diacritics used only in Qur'anic
annotation for instance, or if any of the basic letters have been
excluded. I am interested in the world beyond Persian and Arabic and
Urdu.

>So, while we could probably contrive to answer your precise
>questions above, we would only be misleading you and your
>audience by doing so.

No, it would not. I need something indicative.

>And, for IDNA200X, some of the characters and relationships are
>still under active consideration -- consideration in which some
>of the participants in the meeting for which you presumably want
>this information are very much participating and very well
>informed as to the issues.

I think if you guys can't come up with SOME sort of list things are a
lot worse than I thought.