Changing the xn-- prefix

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Tue Mar 25 03:23:25 CET 2008

On 25 mar 2008, at 00.13, Shawn Steele wrote:

> I reread your original mail, and in particular I don't want to get
> bogged down in the debate of details while trying to set the
> guidelines, but I'd like to try for "A prefix change MUST be
> avoided" (removing the condition).  If that's going to cause too
> much randomization, then I'd back down, but the repercussions of
> changing the prefix are huge.

I am personally in favor of text in the charter that say "The prefix
xn-- MUST NOT be changed." where MUST NOT is defined according to the
IETF definition in RFC 2119 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt).
This put a constrain on the changes the wg is allowed to do to
IDNA200X (not large so that the prefix has to change) -- at least not
without rechartering.

    Patrik