Changing the xn-- prefix

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Fri Mar 21 15:40:40 CET 2008

--On Thursday, 20 March, 2008 18:34 -0700 Mark Davis
<mark.davis at icu-project.org> wrote:

> I agree; I think changing the prefix would be a horrible mess.
> I'd rather not see that as a possibility in the charter.

Mark, Shawn,

I certainly agree that changing the prefix would be a terrible
idea.  However, it seems to me that, if we are right that all of
the changes that are needed can be accomplished without a prefix
change, we can deal with the issue substantively and do so with
relative ease.

In particular, I would welcome suggestions from either of you
(or others) about how the "prefix change" material in Section
9.3 of  draft-klensin-idnabis-issues-07 can be improved.   I've
now reviewed it carefully and, while a number of the statements
can certainly be made more strongly, I'm having trouble figuring
out how much more needs to be said.

Using the charter as a mechanism to block any discussion of the
prefix subject is probably just a recipe for deadlocks in which
we argue about procedures rather than substance.

Just IMO.