Changing the xn-- prefix (was: Re: Wwhich RFCs the new work would obsolete, vs update or leave alone)

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue Mar 18 17:42:33 CET 2008

Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald at alvestrand.no> writes:

> Simon,
>
> Simon Josefsson skrev:
>>
>> I note that using a new prefix instead of xn-- would avoid this problem.
>> Specifications and implementations that use IDNA2003 continue to use
>> xn-- and will work fine within its limitations.  New specifications and
>> implementations that support IDNABIS will use another prefix and also
>> work fine.
>>
>> I'm not suggesting we adopt this approach, but I haven't
>> seen the disadvantages of changing the prefix clearly expressed yet.
>>
>> There is a cost in maintaining both IDNA2003 and IDNABIS encodings of
>> strings during a transition-period.  Whether that cost is higher or
>> lower than the complexity in re-using the old prefix for something that
>> won't be fully backwards compatible is not clear to me.
>>
> section 9.3.3 of draft-klensin-idnabis-issues-07 tries to describe (in
> just a few sentences) the cost drivers that (I think) makes a prefix
> change a very expensive proposition, both in terms of work for the DNS
> operators and in terms of ongoing execution-time costs of application.
>
> That argument convinced me; if you find any part of that unclear, or
> disagree with the conclusions, feedback on the text would be welcome.

The section didn't convince me.  It seems to repeatedly assert that the
costs are "considerable" without going into technical details.

There are some claims that look substantive:

   Even if they wanted to do so, all registries could not convert all
   IDNA2003 ("xn--") registrations to a new form at the same time

I don't see why registries would need to convert anything at the same
time?  Supporting IDNABIS will be a gradual process for the few
registries that support IDNA2003 today.  I don't think any registry will
support IDNABIS the same day it is published.  There is no change
everything at the same time.

   systems that needed to support both labels
   with old prefixes and labels with new ones would first process a
   putative label under the IDNA200X rules and try to look it up and
   then, if it were not found, would process the label under IDNA2003
   rules and look it up again.

IDNABIS could say that for backwards compatible reasons, when you create
a domain xp--foo in your zone (for some non-ASCII string), the software
needs to make sure there is a xn--foo for the corresponding IDNA2003
name too, if there is an equivalent IDNA2003 name.

Yes, this require some special text intended for people creating and
maintaining zone files.  However, such text is need anyway.  The process
of populating a zone file for non-ASCII domains is complicated and there
are many fine details that cause problems.

   That process could significantly slow down all processing that
   involved IDNs in the DNS especially since, in principle, a
   fully-qualified name could contain a mixture of labels that were
   registered with the old and new prefixes, a situation that would make
   the use of DNS caching very difficult.

That is false for the CNAME approach.

   In addition, looking up the same input string as two separate
   A-labels would create some potential for confusion and attacks, since
   they could, in principle, resolve to different targets.

This threat doesn't seem applicable to the CNAME approach.

I'm not proposing that we should change the prefix here, but I'd like to
understand the disadvantages in doing so.  There are some advantages:

Other backwards incompatible changes appear to be considered at this
point, such as using a newer Unicode version or changing how ß is
handled.  It will be simple to make those other backwards incompatible
changes if we change the prefix.

/Simon