AW: AW: AW: sharp s (Eszett)

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Thu Mar 13 09:02:05 CET 2008

Hello Harald,

Georg has already provided a lot of detail in his answer.
I'd like to add two points:

1) All-uppercase domain names are used very rarely, in particular
   for input. If upper-case doesn't provide a good distinction,
   I'm sure all-uppercase also won't be used for publishing these
   names. On top of that, add the fact that there is a bias in
   IDNA2003 for lower-case names, and the current proposal for
   IDNAbis strengthens this bias.

2) For people who have never lived with anomalies in case
   mapping, it is difficult to immagine how these would best
   be handled by people who actually have daily experience.

   When I started to learn some foreign languages, I was
   very vary that something like not having a singular/plural
   distinction could ever work. Now that I use such a language
   daily, I don't even have to thing about it. The human mind
   is indeed very flexible, and in the end, we are designing
   IDNs for humans.

Regards,    Martin.