Conformance for intermediary modules

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Tue Mar 11 22:01:30 CET 2008

One other issue connected (vaguely) with UNASSIGNED (but I changed the subject):

Modern programs are often a set of interoperating modules. That is,
suppose that I have a module M that simply takes a domain name in
A-Label form, and does a DNS lookup. Is it required to backconvert to
a U-Label and do the checks, such as for UNASSIGNED? Or can it trust
that it is being handed a valid label? How would the conformance
requirements of protocol/tables/bidi apply to such a case? And would
it be different from the case of a browser getting the value of an
href? Or the browser getting a value from the address bar?

Mark

BTW, I haven't seen a reply to the following message. John, do you
have a "hip-pocket" counterexample?

--
Mark