Mappings

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Tue Mar 11 03:39:46 CET 2008

> If the set of characters contains pairs of homographic
> characters, the policy must specify a method to prevent two homographic
> domains being registered to different entities.

Because that policy does not actually appear to be feasible. How does TLD XX
determine whether 2 strings are homographs or not? Is it up to them? Is
there is some specification they need to reference? Otherwise, how would
anyone know whether such a statement were true or not? Or does Firefox take
the TLD's word for it? If you try to register ball.XX and ba11.XX is one of
them blocked (for the "Firefox-blessed" TLD XX)?

Mark

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org> wrote:

> Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > I thought that such decisions were the responsability of the TLD. Now,
> > do you mean that a browser's vendor decision (and a bad one)
> > constrains TLD policy decisions?
>
> TLDs have complete freedom about how they implement IDN. Firefox and
> other browsers have complete freedom about how and whether they present
> fully-rendered IDN domains to the user.
>
> > Side note: how many TLD have a consistent policy about homographs? Not
> > just an anti-Unicode policy but a policy to prevent the registration
> > of bankofthewest.example and bankofthevvest.example to different
> > entities?
>
> I believe policy in that specific area varies. However, more generally,
> there are now 30+ TLDs who have policies which comply with our IDN
> guidelines and so have been whitelisted:
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/tld-idn-policy-list.html
> That page also has a rather good summary of why we do things this way.
>
> The guidelines are not exactly complex; I can quote them in their
> entirety:
>
> > In order for us to display IDNs in a particular TLD, that registry
> > concerned must have and keep a published policy stating which characters
> > are permitted. If the set of characters contains pairs of homographic
> > characters, the policy must specify a method to prevent two homographic
> > domains being registered to different entities.
>
> I would have thought any TLD which is issuing IDNs without going even
> that far would be doing its customers a great disservice.
>
> Gerv

Mark