Mappings

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Mar 7 17:23:37 CET 2008

John C Klensin wrote:
> And, of course, the other problem here is that your approach to
> registering TLDs and their policies is another "best available
> option" (not much different from "least worst").   We know that,
> in the vast majority of cases, the TLD operators have very
> little control over what happens at the third level and below.

Our policy on this matter does not require the TLD operator to exert any
control about what happens at the "third level" or below. So any TLD
operator who is concerned about that can un-concern themselves. :-)

(Firefox also includes a character blacklist of those character which
look most like protocol chars (slash, dot etc.). This helps to prevent
confusion about the level of a particular label.)

Gerv