High-level changes from IDNA2003 in the "current work"

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Fri Mar 7 00:17:27 CET 2008

Seems a fair summary. I'd merge f and g to say:

Restrict bidi domain names so that their display is not surprising, whether
they be isolated or be embedded in a paragraph of text.

One thing: I think e, f, and g were part of the original intent of the
IDNA2003 bidi restrictions -- it's just that the actual rules didn't
encompass that intent correctly -- nostra culpa. Much more work has been
done in refining the proposed bidi restrictions in the new bidi document to
make them actually satisfy that original intent, both in terms of allowing
labels that shouldn't have been disallowed, and disallowing labels that
should not have been allowed.

Mark

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Paul Hoffman <phoffman at imc.org> wrote:

> Hi again. It would be useful for those coming in late to have a
> summary of what changes are embodied in the current set of documents.
> Here's my first take on such a list. If people like this format, it
> could be used as the beginning of an outline for the BoF/WG.
>
> a) Update base character set from Unicode 3.2 to Unicode 5.0 or 5.1
>
> b) Disallow most symbol characters
>
> c) Remove the mapping and normalization steps from the protocol and
> have them instead done by the applications themselves, possibly in a
> local fashion, before invoking the protocol
>
> d) Change the way that the protocol specifies which characters are
> allowed in labels from "humans decide what the table of codepoints
> contains" to "decision about codepoints are based on Unicode
> properties plus a small exclusion list created by humans"
>
> e) Allowing typical words and names in languages such as Dhivehi and
> Yiddish to be expressed
>
> f) Make bidirectional domain names (delimited strings of labels, not
> just labels standing on their own) display in a non-surprising fashion
>
> g) Make bidirectional domain names in a paragraph display in a
> non-surprising fashion
>
> Is the list a fair categorization? Should more items be added? Should
> some items be removed?

Mark