Feedback of PAN L10n project on IDNAbis for Languages of Developing Asia

Sarmad Hussain sarmad.hussain at nu.edu.pk
Tue Mar 4 14:09:41 CET 2008

 Please re-open:

http://www.panl10n.net/english/Outputs%20Phase%202/RRCs/RRC-Technology/IDNFeedbackofPANL10nproject.pdf

to retrieve the document.

 Regards,
Sarmad

  _____

From: Vint Cerf [mailto:vint at google.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2008 2:50 PM
To: Sarmad Hussain
Cc: idna-update at alvestrand.no; psayo at idrc.org.in; cc at panl10n.net; werner at axone.ch; 'Maria Ng'; werner.staub at corenic.org; Alireza Saleh; 'Ram Mohan'; Eric Brunner-Williams; 'Tina Dam'; 'Ram Mohan'
Subject: Re: Feedback of PAN L10n project on IDNAbis for Languages of Developing Asia

Sarmad,

I saw only Urdu and Nepali in the wiki so assume others are still to follow?

1. are the urdu suggestions for inclusion in DNS consistent with Patrik's properties-based inclusion algorithm plus contextual exceptions? If not, we will need to figure out how to achieve consistency.

2. I assume that "translations" are intended to be local and that their use would result in normalized ASCII outputs for each of the referenced domain names currently in the list for ccTLDs and gTLDs when the localizations are externalized - like the use of Fully Qualified Domain Names in email systems that allow abbreviated domain names internally.

This form of localization gives rise to some serious confusion if any of the listed translations become valid internationalized ccTLDs or gTLDs.

what is the general thinking about dealing with that potential conflict?

Vint

On Feb 28, 2008, at 9:49 AM, Sarmad Hussain wrote:

Dear All,

Please find the subject document, which includes feedback on IDNAbis process from the following Countries (Languages):

Afghanistan (Pashto), Bangladesh (Bangla), Bhutan (Dzongkha), Cambodia (Khmer), Laos (Lao), Mongolia (Mongolian), Nepal (Nepali) and Pakistan (Urdu) through work done by PAN Localization project

This document is available at http://panl10n.net/wiki/InternationalizedDomainNames.

Best regards,
Sarmad

Dr. Sarmad Hussain

سرمد حسین

Professor and Head

پروفیسر اور نگراں

Center for Research in Urdu Language Processing

مرکز تحقیقات اردو

National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences

نیشنل یونی ورسٹی

B Block, Faisal Town

بی بلاک، فیصل ٹاؤن

Lahore, PAKISTAN