A-label definition

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Tue Jun 24 13:41:26 CEST 2008

At 12:34 24/06/2008, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>On 24 jun 2008, at 05.18, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > If you have a host called 0x7f.0x01.example.com and
> > a search list containg example.com the when someone attempts
> > to telnet to 0x7f.0x01 it won't go to the address in the A
> > record associated with 0x7f.0x01.example.com.
>
>Can not someone write a draft that say "search lists are bad for you"?
>And then turn off the search list features in software....

Dear Patrick,
I am afraid that the market input would more probably be "why search
lists are good for you". There are plenty of such searchlists to
remove advertising, support aliases and local TLDs. Anyway the
dissemination of Unbound under Windows will make the Internet
multirooted even before this WG is due to publish. This is why I
suggested to take, and took a more deductive rather than pursuing an
inductive approach of _staying_ backward compatible. The only
difference in principle is that our ML-DNS approach is to say: let
build a solution that _will_be_ backward compatible with non-IDNA and
IDNA and compatible with the state of the art and its architectural
consequences.

Tunrning off means billion software updates. If you do that, why not
to upgrade the software and make it ML-compatible by the same token,
so you do not have nightmares anymore?