Interoperability

jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Jun 13 16:31:55 CEST 2008

Further to the discussion of the IDNA/ML-DNS issue, I would like to
confirm that the only way that I can see ML-DNS being deployed is by
being fully IDNA interoperable. This means that ML-DNS must be
Unicode and punycode compatible on option as well as being based on
the same ISO 3166 country, script, and language table.

Being multitechnology and user oriented, the ML-DNS must support
various types of implementations of the presentational layer. It may
do this by using "semantic perspectives" to be implemented (or not)
as Internet classes. These perspectives should use ISO 3166 ccTAGs
extended by an Open Standards 3166-4 table describing all the
languages that are being used in each ISO 3166-2 area.

Debby Garside has indicated that ISO 639-6 should be published soon,
but has not replied about the availability of her language entity
table. As indicated, we have meanwhile pursued the preparation of our
own table and we will support full interoperability with the ISO 639
series. This may call for some further work but should be implemented
without problem since our table is based on the same Linguasphere
Observatory list as ISO 639-6 is (http://linguasphere.eu). My ccTAG
I_D http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mltf-jfcm-cctags-01.txt
will be updated accordingly.

I do hope that this will be satisfactory to all and will help to
restart the IDNABIS debate, as well as assist in the LTRU LC.
jfc