Comments on the Unicode Codepoints and IDNA Internet-Draft

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Jul 29 09:24:30 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:53:43AM +0100,
 Patrik Fältström <patrik at frobbit.se> wrote
 a message of 20 lines which said:

> Just remember that we not only talk about a clueless registry, but a
> clueless (or a clever) registrant that register 3rd (or 4th) level
> domains.

I believe that the rationale-01 document uses the word "registry" for
them as well:

   Consequently, any DNS zone administration is
   described as a "registry", regardless of that actual administrative
   arrangements or level in the tree.

[Which seems the right thing to do to me.]

> Question is, does registration of these characters that are PVALID in
> -02, but requested to be not so, create harm if registered and used?

No. Characters never harm. And are never "hostile" despite what
protocol-03 says. What will come next? Terrorist characters?