tables document [Re: IDNA comments]

Frank Ellermann hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 19:12:11 CEST 2008

John C Klensin wrote:

> when terms like "Registry" or "Registry Operator" are used, they
> are used interchangeably with "Zone administrator".  Those terms
> apply to _any_ zone in the DNS, at any level.

Very important, you have it explicitly in rationale-01 chapter 5.

> every zone administrator has to make decisions about what sorts
> of strings to permit in labels and what strings to not permit.
> I make those decisions for JCK.COM

+1  So if you decide to create jc--klensin or xn--obscene this is
your decision.  Creating something that's illegal in countries you
visit, or doesn't work with applications you care about, might be
unwise.  I'm mostly interested in the latter case.

> In some sense, IDNA can be seen as a way to remove the external,
> non-DNS-protocol, constraints that prevented the use of non-ASCII
> strings

IDNA is one of those backwards compatibility techniques like MIME
or UTF-8.  It doesn't remove old constraints, it bypasses them.

 Frank