IDN uses unicode because...

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Tue Jul 8 18:38:46 CEST 2008

> > "IDNA uses the Unicode character repertoire, which avoids the
> >  significant delays that would be inherent in waiting for a
> >  different and specific character sets to be defined for IDN
> >  purposes, presumably by some other standards developing
> >  organization. " This is a very strange rationale

> It is a summary of RFC 5242, but likely readers don't get this
> subtle point.  Maybe it could be trimmed to "because no other
> alternative for the IDNA purposes exists".

This always struck me as being a roundabout dissing of Unicode for some unknown reason.  How about:

"IDNA uses the Unicode character repertoire because its widely adopted and one of the few globally recognized standards that encompass the needs of all users".  It could also be mentioned that RFC 2277 requires that standards support Unicode.

- Shawn