Casefolding Sigma (was: Re: IDNAbis Preprocessing Draft)

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Jan 22 09:31:59 CET 2008

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 11:33:26PM -0500,
 Vint Cerf <vint at google.com> wrote
 a message of 80 lines which said:

> please keep in mind that the purpose for Domain Names is
> identifiers, not necessarily orthographically correct natural
> language.

Please keep in mind that the job of IETF is to provide protocols, not
policy, and that the semantic issues (such as the risk of confusion
between google.com and G00GLE.com or between google.com and
googlesucks.com) are completely off-topic for the IETF.

I do not see why we should prevent the greek to write names in their
own scripts, with their own rules (such as the final sigma rule).