Comments on IDNA Bidi

Cary Karp ck at nic.museum
Wed Jan 16 11:40:07 CET 2008

Is "visual order" as used here,

> No two labels, when presented in visual order, should have the same
> sequence of characters without also having the same sequence of
> characters in network order

identical to "display order" as used here?,

> ... the label "123-456" will have a different display order in a RTL
> context than in a LTR context.

If it is, the text would likely benefit from eliminating any
possibility of the terminology being taken ambiguously. If not, perhaps
some further clarification would be useful.

"Display" strikes me as the more objective term (being an attribute of
what the machine does), to which "visual" is a cognitive correlate
(being in the mind of the beholder).

/Cary