WG Review: Internationalized Domain Name (idn)

Sam Hartman hartmans-ietf at mit.edu
Fri Feb 29 00:09:00 CET 2008

    Paul> The WG will start by finding consensus on the type of
    Paul> document or documents it wants as its output, most likely
    Paul> using the current work described above as a basis.
    >>  Paul, I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I have a bit
    >> of a problem with your rewording.  The current charter is
    >> intended to start off with a gating consensus call.  The WG
    >> either decides to base its work on the existing documents or it
    >> needs to come back to the entire community with a recharter
    >> explaining what it is going to do.

    Paul> Boy, I didn't read it that way. I see nothing in the charter
    Paul> that calls for such a gating decision, and

The charter says that the work is organized based on these drafts.
There is a consensus call to determine if the drafts can be accepted.
IF that fails, you don't have consensus to go forward with your chartered work so you are stuck with a recharter.

    Paul> the first
    Paul> milestone is:

    >> Mar 08: WG Last Call for Overview/Rationale document

That's a bug I noticed on the last telechat.  Since milestones are
between the AD and chairs we decided to send out for review anyway.