WG Review: Internationalized Domain Name (idn)

Mark Davis mark.davis at unicode.org
Wed Feb 27 19:07:28 CET 2008

The text looks good. I'd suggest just one change, to the following:

> - Revise bi-directional algorithms to produce a deterministic
> answer whether a label is allowed or not
> - Determine whether bi-directional algorithm should allow
> additional mnemonics labels

The above wording is a bit misleading, since it suggests that IDNA2003
wasn't deterministic in what it specified about BIDI labels. IDNA2003 was
deterministic in what it specified; it just was not optimal in that it
didn't prevent visual ambiguity due to ordering. Also, the Unicode BIDI
algorithm itself is not being modified; just the restrictions on label
contents based on that algorithm. And the comment about mnemonics is a bit
mysterious to me.

So my suggestion would be to replace the above two bullets with:

- Revise the restrictions on labels to provide for better visual
disambiguation in the cases where characters would be subject to
bidirectional reordering.

Mark

Mark