Label separators

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Feb 25 04:13:52 CET 2008

At 10:51 08/02/25, YAO Jiankang wrote:

>you said "if you need to use a convention locally to permit
> easier typing of that character, you can substitute any
>convenient punctuation (or other disallowed) character for it...",
>I am a little afraid of how we can do it without the support of IDNA200X
>version ?
> Install some plug in to translate these separators into ASCII period
>before we store them in a file or transmit them on the wire?

IDNs get typed in various contexts. In some contexts, it is comparatively
easy to implement IDN preprocessing. The best example would be the
location bar in a browser. [Note that I said 'comparatively',
it still has to be done.] Similarly easy would be IDN input
in GUI applications used to create/edit links.

But IDNs get typed in other contexts, too. Examples are plain-text
editors for writing Web-pages and related code, and of course things
such as plain email. In these contexts, integrating the necessary
processing steps is much, much more difficult. For Chinese and Japanese,
integrating the necessary functionality into an IME (Input Method
Editor) may be possible, but for other languages, there's
virtually nothing to hang them on to.

Regards,   Martin.s

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp