I-D Action:draft-alvestrand-idna-bidi-04.txt (fwd)

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Thu Feb 14 23:02:08 CET 2008

Harald, Patrik and John,

Thanks for posting the new version of the IDNA200X bidi spec.

I see that you have a recommendation for registries in the final
paragraph of section 6.1. So a registry only needs to be concerned
about the next level up from the label being registered, if that label
contains any "right-to-left" characters. We may need to tighten that
up to say R, AL or AN? Or just R and AL?

Also, what would the recommendation be for resolvers? I suppose they
would have a similar rule for the next level up, but there is also the
rule "ES and ON, followed by zero or more NSM, is not allowed in the
last position", so a resolver may also need to look at the next level
*down*, right?

ES is European number separator (such as + and -) while ON is other
neutral (such as @ and &), so maybe we could simplify the resolver's
job by making ES and ON DISALLOWED in the Table spec (except for
hyphen (-), which would be CONTEXTO).

This way, a resolver can process labels in (logical) order, and would
not have to backtrack to the previous label if the current label
contains any R/AL/AN.

Erik