Eszett (was Implementation questions)

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Wed Dec 24 14:16:22 CET 2008

--On Tuesday, 23 December, 2008 17:14 -0800 Shawn Steele
<Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com> wrote:

>> Along the lines of what you are talking about, I think one
>> way to solve the problem is to have a requirement on
>> registries in the protocol, that whenever two strings differ
>> only by these characters, that they must either bundle or
>> block.
>
> I agree.  I'd also recommend the same thing to people asking
> for registrations since we know that the registries don't
> always follow the requirements.  I'd recommend that people
> requesting registrations request both forms.

Certainly, if I were a user registering a label that might be
construed as being in German, I would try to do that regardless
of what the relevant registry required.   But, if the registry
did not exclude mixed-script registrations, I might also
register a label containing β (U+03B2) any time I intended ß
(U+00DF) to appear and vice versa, simply because, in some
fonts, they look a little too much alike.