Implementation questions (digressing from...)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Tue Dec 23 23:32:02 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 12:38:29PM -0800, Mark Davis wrote:

> Along the lines of what you are talking about, I think one way to solve the
> problem is to have a requirement on registries in the protocol, that
> whenever two strings differ only by these characters, that they must either
> bundle or block.

I suggest that any text that we might include that attempts to
"require" registries to do anything is at best going to get the
documents wound up pretty tightly during IETF last call.  We're not in
a position to mandate policies on the part of registries.

I think it would be good to provide the strong advice that registries
-- or, the term I like better, "zone operators" -- need to worry about
these cases.  It would probably be a good idea to create a document
that suggests a possible solution.  We've been informed before,
however, that it's off charter and so can't be adopted by the WG.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.