consensus item - "IDNA2008"

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Mon Dec 22 22:54:01 CET 2008

Vint,

I am surprised about the amount of discord the naming of IDNA has brought forward.

Being a latecomer in the IDNA project, I have found IDNA's naming bizarre in that the date of inception was included in the naming. If I may say, this is slightly unwise, since on projects overruns, you end up with the current debate regarding 2008, 2009, or other.
Thinking out of the box, I wondered if one could not see IDNA2003 as IDNA1.0 and the current IDNA as IDNA2.0.

In a few years, IDNA's year of procreation will not matter anyway, will it?

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Olivier