Protocol, Rationale, and RFC5378 IPR requirerments

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Mon Dec 15 22:30:54 CET 2008

Gentlemen,

There is significant text from RFC 3490 in Protocol, and there
may be text from it in Rationale (I have not yet done a careful
audit of what is left where).  May I assume that you have made
the appropriate releases of IPR to the IETF Trust for that RFC
3490 material or will soon do so?

Also, can you vouch for Adam in this regard?  I can't find a
current address for him, 3490 lists only a web site URL and, as
of about five minutes ago, that URL was not answering.

For the information of those who have been lucky enough to not
be following the discussion on the IETF list, the IETF is
instituting a new IPR policy that, among other things, requires
explicit transfers of rights to old text carried forward into
newer I-Ds or RFCs to the IETF Trust.   Since the author of
anything being posted to the I-D directories much certify that
those permissions have been obtained and transfers made, without
those transfers, it is impossible to post anything containing
old text to the I-D directories after some date that, depending
on which (real or amateur) attorney one listens to, is last
November 10th, tomorrow, sometime in between those two, or some
other date RSN.

Also for the benefit of other participants in the WG, it seems
to be the opinion of IETF leadership that current work in the WG
is, or soon will be, covered by RFC 5378 and/or the
soon-to-be-updated version of the Note Well, so I don't need to
explicitly ask for your permission for text acknowledged in the
various documents.  That said, anyone who does _not_ want to
grant rights under 5378 had better speak up immediately and be
prepared to identify whatever text is involved so I can rewrite
it to not violate any rights that you might claim.

Please don't kill the messenger.