IDNA2008: concerns about inconsistent mappings, and german sharp s

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Fri Dec 12 10:20:19 CET 2008

At 12:14 08/12/12, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>At 4:29 PM -0800 12/11/08, Vint Cerf wrote:
>>This advice belongs in rationale I would think. V
>
>Here is the relevant text on this topic from the Rationale document. You
>can decide for yourself if this constitutes advice that is or is not sufficient.

I think it is probably sufficient, but wording should be improved.
In particular, there are too many might/could/...

>   While it is beyond the scope of these documents to specify a
>   preference for any of them, or to suggest that there are not other
>   possibilities, there have traditionally been several approaches to
>   problems of this type:

Reword to remove forward reference for "any of them", along the lines
of:

There have traditionally been several approaches to problems of this
type. Without any preference or claim to completeness, these are:

>   o  Do not permit use of the newly-available character at the registry
>      level.  This might cause lookup failures if a domain name were
>      written with the expectation of the IDNA2003 mapping behavior, but
>      would eliminate any possibility of false matches.

might -> can; were -> is; would -> will

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp