Tables: BackwardCompatible Maintanence

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Wed Dec 10 12:04:50 CET 2008

Erik van der Poel wrote:
> Hi Patrik,
>
> Currently, the Tables draft is a bit asymmetric with respect to
> BackwardCompatible and Context Registry:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idnabis-tables-04#section-5.1
>
> For BackwardCompatible, it says "appointed expert" and for Context
> Registry, it says "IETF Review". It would be nice if they both said
> the same thing, and I would personally prefer IETF Review.

actually, as the later discussions on BackwardsCompatible show, they are
different in kind. The BackwardsCompatible is generated more-or-less
mechanically, and an appointed expert should just look over it to see
that it looks right; the Context registry will require human judgment,
and there may be substantial disagreements about the change to be made.

so I think they should be different (but it needs to be clear why it's
that way).

              Harald