Mapping other Digits to 0-9

Mark Davis mark at macchiato.com
Mon Dec 8 19:38:47 CET 2008

The original motivation for the mapping (in IDNA2003) was to make IDNs work
like regular domain names, regarding case (and similar kinds of variants
when extended to Unicode). It has nothing to do with "localization".
That is, with regular domain names, it doesn't matter which of the following
are used:

   - http://bruder.de
   - http://Bruder.de

The goal was to duplicate that behavior with IDNs, so that it wouldn't
matter which of the following was used:

   - http://brüder.de <http://xn--brder-lva.de>
   - http://Brüder.de <http://xn--brder-lva.de>

Note that this is not a UI matter: IRIs appear not only in browser address
bars, but also in email bodies, IMs, and so on. It is generally understood
at the W3C, for example, that all attributes that take URLs should take full
IRIs, not punycoded-URIs, so for example SVG, MathML, XLink, XML, etc, all
take IRIs now, as does HTML5.

I think the motivation for "local mapping" in IDNA2008 is two-fold. Some of
us need to maintain compatibility with IDNA2003. Others want to have special
mappings for Turkish. (Personally, I think the latter makes for a nasty
security and interoperability problem). I haven't heard any case but Turkish
cited as an example of why someone would want a "localization" mapping.

Mark