Protocol-08 (and status of Defs-04 and Rationale-06)

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Mon Dec 8 02:14:58 CET 2008

Alireza,

an update would be called for if we can figure out what consensus
there is on the matter of the eastern-indic and western-indic numbers
and their relationship to the western/european numbers.

My impression is that there are some participants who would find it
preferable to make all restrictions on the mixing the these number
codes a matter for registry decision. One hazard with this is that
the issue arises at every level in the DNS hierarchy and operators
(registries) of lower level zone files may be less likely to enforce
constraints than, e.g., second level registries.

We can:

1. forbid at protocol level the mixing of Eastern -Indic, Western-
Indic and European digits in any combination.

the benefit of this rather strong rule is that it deals the the
apparent potential hazard that all input digits are mapped into
European digits by some widely uses operating system software and
thus will be information lossy.

OR

2. forbid at protocol level the mixing of Eastern-Indic with European
and separately forbid mixing European with Western-Indic using
context rules.

OR

3. Do not forbid use of digits at protocol level but use registry
filters implemented by each registry.

Are there additional useful options?

NOTE NEW BUSINESS ADDRESS AND PHONE
Vint Cerf