Rationale problems

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sat Dec 6 15:13:42 CET 2008

At 08:10 06/12/2008, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>If this isn't a concrete example of a problem, I don't know what is.

It certainly is! moreover that due to the hysteresis of the network
being counted in years rather than in days like for propagation. So,
it means that several releases may simultaneously be at various
degrees of deployment, increasing the problems and the list of
possible conflicts.

This could also be considered together with another interference by a
new parameter with the DNS: time. The same as IDNA is a new network
vision, DNSSEC introduces absolute time as a reason why a domain name
may work at a place and not at another one.. These two new parameters
can each depend on several authorities (root, zone, local). I fear
that these kinds of problem do not add but multiply both troubles
possibility and troubleshouting complexity.

May I suggest we try to keep things simple in investigating and
thinking about them a little more even if it takes time (everyone
knows I am impatient about this work to be completed). If 97.5% of
the requests to the root servers are illegitimate, and some for 20
years, it means that the real life DNS deployment and management is
not that simple. Actually many suspect DNS is a mathematical chaos
situation. Adding any small complexity is always a big risk. Already
ICANN wants to add thousands TLDs.

I must say that I was not appealed by IDNA as not bringing all the
answers I think users expect, but now I am quite unconfortable due to
the adding complexity from areas outside of IETF competence and
control. IETF is specializing in computer to computer protocols.
Unicode is specializing in eye computer assisted presentation.
Languages are brain to brain protocols.

I started having a very quick look at the new documents distribution
as I promised. I was in favor of extracting rationales from protocol
descriptions. I start being afraid the mix protected us and we might
have now a split between what we should do and what we are
doing/patching. Has someone given a try to a modeling of IDNA
permitting to "see" how it works?

I am certainly not opposed to a systemic approach, but the DNS is an
analytic hierarchical architecture. I _may_be_wrong_ and confused by
the "work in progress" situation, but I feel as if we were just
seating in between the systemic and the analytic chairs  without a
clear general architecture picture?

jfc