Mapping other Digits to 0-9

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Fri Dec 5 20:40:44 CET 2008

Yeah, I looked at that and wondered "Who's that 'we' and what are we
'fixing'?"

As the IM bug discussions have pointed out, a couple of implementers
have chosen to map code points NOT in the range U+0030..U+0039 to code
points in that range, and possibly rely upon some mechanism, like a
POSIX locale, to reverse the map. Having once had to write a tty driver
that was capable of knowing in what direction, and how far, to back
space in a string that was (a) bidi, and (b) multi-locale, I personally
consider that class of choices amusing.

I don't get it if it is a suggestion for a bidi rule, or anywhere else
in a globally scoped rule set that starts with things that aren't LDH
and ends with things that are, with the canonical "xn--" prefix.

If it is a suggestion for registry policy, or how a zonefile editor
should handle code points other than 0x30 to 0x39, it isn't one I'd
recommend or implement.

I'm fine with leaving IMs and other UI portions of applications "as
found", as this is out of our collective competence. No surprise there.

Eric