Follow-up from Tuesday's discussion of digits in the

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Thu Dec 4 19:02:55 CET 2008

> There is a second issue, which has been alluded to but never
> described on the list itself, is that on many systems, a
> user may input, or see, one series of digits, but they may be
> represented internally as another series.

Good point, I'd missed that and hadn't thought of it.

> The registries just have to register two or three variants
> with the digits mapped to different digit series.

And that seems practical to me, since there are usually only two sets of digits involved. (0-9 and a native set).

This is also like other cases existing today.  Eg: www.bücher.de will take you to www.buecher.de, so both variations have been registered.  To me this doesn't seem like an undue burden for either the registrar or the domain name owner since we're only talking about a couple of variations.

- Shawn