an interesting ICANN development on similar domain names

Tina Dam tina.dam at icann.org
Sun Aug 10 05:39:59 CEST 2008

Just FYI and with disclaimer that I am on blackberry and have not been able to read all comments on this topic in full detail:

1) The sword algorithm will be used on strings made of characters or combinations of characters that are valid per the idna protocol and the idn guidelines

2) That said, the algorithm will be on selected scripts to begin with and will cntinue to be build out.

3) The algorithm will not be the sole determination on whether two strings are confusingly similar or not but it will help and give an indication.

That are the most important things for now - please let me know if you have additional questions.

Tina