an interesting ICANN development on similar domain names

Yao Jiankang yaojk at cnnic.cn
Sun Aug 10 01:49:08 CEST 2008

if SWORD's verbal search algorithms (or any other algorithms) can be used to built a similarity words set database, that seems be fine.
what I mean is that:

For every possible domain label word or TLD word, we can classify it into the  sets of similarity words , finally we can bulit a database including all possible similarity word sets.

so there will have many similarity words sets
for example,
 similarity word A set (every word in this set is similar to word A)
similarity word B set (every word in this set is similar to word B)
similarity word C set(every word in this set is similar to word C)
similarity word D set(every word in this set is similar to word D)

When new word X is encountered by SWORD's verbal search algorithms, this algorithm can decide whether word X can be classified into current similarity word  sets. if yes, we will add word X into the current similarity word set; if not, we can create a new similarity word set.
if this process is repeated, the similarity word set will become larger and the database including all the similarity word sets will become larger.

This database may help us to decide whether new gTLD strings are in user confusion with existing TLDs. It can also help the registry or registrant or registrar to register IDN.
Of course, that kind of database is not easy to be built.

YAO Jiankang
CNNIC