Some confusion about policy application and its effects

Andrew Sullivan ajs at commandprompt.com
Mon Aug 4 21:28:24 CEST 2008

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 12:00:35PM -0700, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> >If I'm right about the above, I wonder whether it is a (new) layering
> >violation; and if so, whether it's an acceptable one in the face of
> >the alternatives.
>
> Can you specify which layers you think are being violated?

I'm sorry I'm not being terribly coherent about this; I think the
problem is partly that I really am confused.  Perhaps "layering
violation" is the wrong way to think about it.  It's more like a leak
in between the application and presentation layers: whether a "unicode
label" is "allowed" seems almost to be an emergent property of the
interaction among whatever the local policy is, IDNA itself, and the
policies that determine registration rules at the registration end of
the DNS.  (Maybe this is exactly what Mark Davis has been getting at
in his expressed worries about stable mappings, and I'm just
expressing it half as well because of a poorer understanding?)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/