Determining the basic approach

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Wed Apr 30 09:36:51 CEST 2008

Okay, here's my initial sort-out:

Support: 1, 2 (I'm not sure what's different here from IDNA2003,
         on the level of abstraction given in the topics document),
         5, 6, 7, 8/9 (both as far as reasonably possible)

Neutral: 3, 10

Against: 11 (not sure I understand this correctly, but if this is
         about non-IDNA (i.e. purely ASCII) domain names, then
         I'm not sure why we would be even allowed to tinker with it)

Need more discussion: 4 (I think we partly understand that the
         current approach has some issues, we have by way not
         done enough to evaluate what will happen with this new
         approach, and whether it won't just get us out from the
         frying pan and into the fire.

What I didn't find in the draft but what in my understanding is
a very big difference between IDNA2003 and the current set of
drafts is that in IDNA2003, unassigned codepoints are tried for
resolution, whereas in IDNAbis, they are not allowed to be sent
to resolvers.

Regards,     Martin.