Historic scripts as MAYBE?

Frank Ellermann hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 09:31:20 CEST 2008

Paul Hoffman wrote:

> Ah. Where? I don't see that on <http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.1.0/>.

I found the new blocks in...
<http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/Blocks.txt>
...and knew that the Phaistos Disc was added.

>> For IDNAbis the list could be extended with
>> say Glagolitic, Deseret, and Shavian.

> If we want to hand-pick them, yes. I proposed
> that we only use what The Unicode Consortium
> has decided.

It's an idea, but then you can't close some gaps
in plane 1 used for various "unusual" scripts.

>> But that requires great care, excluding Osmanyan
>> could backfire if a future country in the former
>> Somalia adopts it again.

> ...an even better reason not to hand-pick.

The Osmanyan block is between Shavian and Cypriot
Syllabary.  And "anything from A to D is bad" is
easier to implement than "A to B bad, B to C ugly,
C to D bad".  The endless tables needed for IDNA
are the reason why I never tried to implement it.

 Frank