Historic scripts as MAYBE?

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Mon Apr 28 04:04:20 CEST 2008

If historic scripts are to be excluded, the up-to-date list recommended by
the consortium for U5.1 is at

http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr31/#Specific_Character_Adjustments

(BTW, I'm strongly against restoring MAYBE, for a number of reasons already
discussed. Haven't heard back from Patrik as to why, though, we couldn't in
exceptional circumstances move characters from DISALLOWED. If that is
allowed, then it would be reasonable to exclude historic scripts, since even
if there were an out-of-the-blue revival, they could be handled.)

Mark

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Paul Hoffman <phoffman at imc.org> wrote:

> At 2:24 AM +0200 4/28/08, Frank Ellermann wrote:
>
> > In Unicode 5.1 Phaistos Disc, Carian, Lycian, and Lydian were added.
> >

> Ah. Where? I don't see that on <
> http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.1.0/>.
>
>  For IDNAbis the list could be extended with say Glagolitic, Deseret,
> > and Shavian.
> >

> If we want to hand-pick them, yes. I proposed that we only use what The
> Unicode Consortium has decided.
>
>  But that requires great care, excluding Osmanyan could
> > backfire if a future country in the former Somalia adopts it again.
> >

> ...an even better reason not to hand-pick.

Mark