Stability of valid IDN labels

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Tue Apr 22 22:22:17 CEST 2008

I got the following response from our web meister. As to IDN requirements
being based solely on ICANN -- I'd firmly disagree, and I suspect others
would as well. ICANN is certainly relevant and important for IDN, but not
the only stakeholder, by far.

===

> The Unicode list is not really public, e.g., it was removed
> from Gmane.org later, and it is not indexed by search engines.

All incorrect. The mail list is public, and it is indexed by search engines.
... Try it:
http://www.unicode.org/search/ and type "ken whistler mail list" into the
Google Search box. You'll get 2,720 hits on Unicode.org.

As for Gmane.org: the list was removed from Gmane.org (not the only
aggregator in the known universe, by the way) but a few days later Gmane.org
were sent a *complete* archive of the list to do with as they please, and
given explicit permission to archive it publicly. If they don't archive it,
it's not our fault.

> Disallow: /cgi-bin/ in <http://www.unicode.org/robots.txt>
> is about the Web interface to the Unicode list archive among
> other things.

Huh? There isn't any web interface to the Unicode list. It's just a bunch of
static HTML files.

Mark