Version -02 of the topics draft

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Sun Apr 20 22:44:55 CEST 2008

Paul,

In the process of working on a WG version of "Rationale", I
reviewed your latest list.  A few comments, fwiw...

--On Friday, April 18, 2008 1:49 PM -0700 Paul Hoffman
<phoffman at imc.org> wrote:

> I changed the title and organization, and I added the two
> topics that Eric Brunner asked for.

* To accurately reflect the assumptions behind the new proposal,
item 2.3, which now reads "Disallow most symbol characters"
should really read "Disallow all symbol and punctuation
characters except where special exceptions are necessary" or
something to that effect.

* I'm not sure I understand how 2.8 is different from 2.9.   Was
this an editing error in which the parenthetical remark in 2.8
was inserted but 2.9 not removed?

* While I have no problem with your Section 3, I wonder whether
we get onto a slippery slope that leads to ratholes vis-a-vis
the charter by opening a discussion of any IDN-related issue
that anyone participating in the WG wants to discuss.   I'm not
personally opposed to discussing either of the issues that you
list, but wonder if we can devise a way of filtering additional
issues that does not bog us down in reviewing each of the
proposals that was introduced into the original WG.

* In Section 4, the statement is made as if it were a WG
conclusion.    I don't believe that we have reached any
consensus on that subject, which is intimately related to the
document reorganization issues that you have wanted the WG to
address, so it should be listed as a topic for discussion.
Incidentally, "eventual" is misspelled in that sentence.

      regards,