Stability of valid IDN labels

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Sat Apr 19 14:52:45 CEST 2008

Earlier versions of the draft documents had a "maybe" concept but
during detailed discussions it was not clear to me, at least, that
there was a very operational way to treat anything in the "maybe"
category other than to reject its use until such time as it became
valid or invalid. If you were not supposed to register anything in
Maybe but you could perhaps allow it to be looked up (ie used in a
query) then in practical terms, Maybe behaves like "invalid for the
moment."
On the other hand, once a character is valid, it would not be a good
thing to allow it to become invalid because some previous
registrations would then no longer work. We may be faced with a one-
time version of that problem anyway, however, as we try to
accommodate the need to make registration rules more restrictive than
those developed in the 2003 version of IDNA.

vint