WG Review: Internationalized Domain Names in Applications (Revised) (idnabis)

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Wed Apr 9 02:34:06 CEST 2008

Vint Cerf wrote:
> The "public" reference is in some sense both a combination of more
> IETF involvement beyond the design team that has developed the IDs
> upon which it is expected the working group effort will be based and
> the general public to the extent that "last call" might engage parties
> in addition to the usual IETF participants. Please do note however
> that the design team believes it has consulted selectively among IETF
> and linguistic experts in the course of refining its proposal. It
> wishes to validate its work with a wider community.

Vint,

When we consider how IETF Working Groups, or the IETF as a body function
functions, that is, when we consider what "the usual IETF participants"
bring to truly difficult issues, the outcome of the tsconv draft may be
illuminating to others. I know it was an illuminating experience to
myself, and to the named authors.

I don't suppose for a moment that the tsconv experience must be
repeated, but I don't know that the assumptions that lead up to it have
been critically examined and any issues identified and resolved.

Eric