Requirements document (Re: New version, draft-faltstrom-idnabis-tables-02.txt, available)

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Mon Jun 18 12:53:04 CEST 2007

"Vint Cerf" <vint at google.com> writes:

> I would have thought that consideration of passwords is entirely irrelevant
> to the consideration of characters to be used in domain names.

StringPrep is part of the IDNA algorithm, and StringPrep is used for
non-IDN purposes.  See SASLPrep:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4013.txt

If you want to revise StringPrep, I believe you should take into
considerations the non-IDN purposes as well.  Alternatively, explicitly
declare that you don't care about the non-IDN users.

/Simon