Confusability (Re: New version, draft-faltstrom-idnabis-tables-02.txt, available)

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Mon Jun 18 07:18:58 CEST 2007

Martin Duerst wrote:

> As already said, starting with Latin/Greek/Cyrillic in and
> all the rest out of the STABLE (or whatever) category isn't
> really appropriate. As an example, the current draft includes
> all IPA characters
> (024F..02AF ; ALWAYS    # LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH STROKE..LATIN SMALL L)
> Some of these, in particular U+0251 and U+0261, are indistinguishable
> from a lower case 'a' or 'g' in an italic font.

How can we rephrase text in idnabis-issues to make it clear that we ARE
NOT solving confusability?

Given that we have already concluded that outlawing the Greek omicron is
impossible, we need to put this issue strictly out of scope as a
selection criteria.

(One version did put the IPA block as "out", but that was retracted
after rather fierce opposition on this very list - see Ken Whistler's
message of Dec 14, 2006, for instance).

                    Harald